Today Heather and I did the final installation of the Murphy bed. I’ll do a project wrap up post with more details and pictures tomorrow but I wanted to get a couple of quick pictures up.
Here are the major pieces all assembled and ready for installation. You’ll note that the parts are set up outside on the patio. I have a very small work shop and a project this size just does fit so we set up the canopy and did much of the work in the back yard. Heather applied all the finish out here.
And here is the bed installed in the guest room. This bed is mostly for visiting grandkids so we kept the style very simple. It was built as a functional piece and not as ‘fine furniture.’
It was a lot of work to do. We’ve spent just about every Saturday in June working on it and Heather’s spent a few hours each day last week staining and putting on the finish.
So the question I most often get is, “was it worth it?”
Yes and no.
The hardware kit and planes were great and well worth the money. If you want to build a Murphy bed, this is the way to go. Now that it is done, we’ve got a piece that we can proudly point to and say, “we built that.” That’s important to me so, yes, the project was worth it to me.
But, it wasn’t as cheap as other bed options (futons, cheap metal frame or even other factory made Murphy beds) and it was a lot of work. I didn’t keep track but it was easily 40 hours between Heather and I. A better equipped shop might have done it faster.
Still as a hobby thing and a project that we could do together, I’d build another – in a few years.
Our next project together is going to involve smaller pieces of wood – I’m thinking a doll bed for our granddaughter’s “American Girl” doll.