Movember Poem

Movember

Razor scrapes face clean.
Towel dries tears.
Lip quivers at the memory.
Eyes face the past,
while throat prepares to cry
into the future.

A budding soup-strainer
starts the conversation.
Stubble opens ears.
Lips speak of,

Motivation,
Awareness,
Paying-it-forward,
Passion, and compassion.

A fuzzy lipped community speaks
of the possibilities.
Of hope for the day when
we no longer raise a
hand to dry a tear
for the brother felled by this
cancer.

This is a special request poem from a man who is participating in the Movember Men’s Health awareness and fundraise for research for prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention.  How it works is that a man will start the month clean-shaven and then let their mustache grow.  Participants in the month work to rise awareness and funds.  The growing stubble is a great conversation starter.

Personally I am not growing a mustache.  When I noted this on an on-line cancer forum, I was asked if I’d at least write a poem for the month – which is now published here.

I’ve heard of this for a few years.  The one thing I know for sure is that the men and women (yes ladies are helping with this too, they get a bit “creative” with the mustache part) who support this fund raiser are passionate about their cause.

As a victim of prostate cancer, I do appreciate the effort these folks are putting into Movember.

Till next time,

This entry was posted in Poems and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Movember Poem

1. inesephoto says:

Here in Ireland we have a prostate cancer and men’s mental health support event in September – Distinguished Gentlemen Ride. It was founded in Australia. My friends do it on their vintage bikes.

2. 4healthofman says:

Love the poem, really heartfelt! Pay it forward

3. Pingback: Movember Poem | petershakespearebaxter

4. Well written, Andrew. Movember is such a good way to raise awareness! I’m sorry to hear cancer took a run at you, but glad you’ve got a clean bill of health now.

Wonderful poem for a good cause, Andrew. Cancer has struck many of our friends and some in our family. It’s horrible, but you are a survivor!

6. You’re not a victim, you’re a survivor! You kicked it in the…well…you know…. And we’re all so happy you did!!

7. Carrie Rubin says:

Wonderful and powerful poem. Movember is a great way to highlight men’s health.

8. Prostate cancer is men’s breast cancer, no less serious and deadly. Good on you, Andrew.

Reblogged this on Mitigating Chaos and commented:
    There are some studies that show more men dying of prostate cancer each year than women dying of breast cancer. The “Ta-Ta’s” definitely have better marketing people.

Let’s “keep the conversation going” by reading and passing on this poem by my buddy, Andrew Reynolds, a prostate CA survivor.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )