What a Trip – The report from Malvern

We’ve been back from our trip for a week and half.  Life here is returning to normal which means crazy, hectic and unpredictable – you know just life.  Today is one of those days where I don’t have a lot of energy for writing so I’ll keep this short and newsy rather than try to be witty or clever in my writing.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to document our trip and have been some what overwhelmed with the amount of raw material we brought back.  There are over 100 video clips and at least 500 photos plus Heather’s written journal is approaching 6 typed pages and I’m not finished adding my details.  My plan has been to use the journal to write a little script for a video that I’ll edit together from the video clips and photos.  Don’t stand around waiting for it ‘cause it’s going to take a while – could be your Christmas present.

Looking at the photos and journal I am amazed at how much we did and what we saw.  We packed a lot into our 11 days and loved – well almost all of it.  The trip did have it’s problems but we’re trying to stay focused on all the good parts. We learned a lot about traveling with a grandchild and will be applying those lessons to the next trip we take.

There were three stops on the trip, Malvern, Paris and London.  Malvern is where my wife grew up and where her brother and sister still live.  We stayed with Heather’s sister and spent a day taking our grandson around to see the sights and show him where his gran grew up.  He also got to meet some of his English family.  Here are a few photos of Malvern:

Me taking a video of Davenham where Heather’s mother spent the last years of her life.


A view from the Malvern Hills

Me, Hazel and “J” climbing the hill

Hang Gliding over the Malvern Hills

Hazel pointing out the landmarks to “J”

The brass band in the park on a summer Sunday afternoon.

The Priory Church

We only had one full day in Malvern and that was one of the lessons learned – we should have spent more time there and spent more time visiting family with our grandson.  It was more relaxed and the personal connect more meaningful.  The hustle and bustle of the big cities is interesting in it’s way but I do prefer the slower life of a small town.

Now that I’ve had some time to rest after the busy trip life is going to get busy again with the arrival of three of our grandsons for their summer visit.  They are very energetic 10 and 8 year olds so I expect that grandpa won’t be getting as much time playing on his computer as he has in the last few months.

Just more signs that there is life left to live.  And on the medical front I’ve had my first post treatment follow-up visit with my urologist – the news is good.  The radiation treatment is starting to do it’s job to reduce the cancer and we’re all hopeful that the one treatment is all I’ll need.  Don’t want to tempt fate by saying too much but I am very pleased with the results of the latest test.

I’ll post pictures of Paris in my next post – provided the grandkid’s bed time is still 9:00 and they’ve left me some energy.

About Andrew Reynolds

Born in California Did the school thing studying electronics, computers, release engineering and literary criticism. I worked in the high tech world doing software release engineering and am now retired. Then I got prostate cancer. Now I am a blogger and work in my wood shop doing scroll saw work and marquetry.
This entry was posted in Prostate Cancer, Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to What a Trip – The report from Malvern

  1. Your time in Europe sounds lovely and your photos are as well. The best news of all is that your test results are positive. My husband has another test in a few weeks. I can only imagine how it feels to have this cloud hanging over you. Congratulations on your results!


    • Andrew says:

      Heather took most of the pictures so I can’t claim credit for that. Hope your test comes back with good results – it’s no fun waiting for the other shoe to drop.


  2. YAPCaB says:

    Sounds and looks like a fun time! Glad to hear your first tests came back positive.


Comments are closed.