Little Libraries

Today was the big event at the church.  We built eight libraries, sorted books, made book marks, little wooden books, and ate lunch.  Here is a picture of the painted libraries:

Eight little libraries with fresh paint.

Eight little libraries with fresh paint.

I’ve been spending a lot of time on this lately and today am just plain exhausted so there will be no essay from me this week.

And like all good projects this one isn’t done. This is just the first big mile stone.  The libraries still need their roofs, shelves, face frames, and doors.  That’s the second mile stone.  Then we need to set the up in the neighborhood, and fill them with books.

Makes me dizzy just thinking about it all.

Till next week,

This entry was posted in wood working and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Little Libraries

1. Hi Andrew sounds good. They have done this in the Uk using the old red telephone boxes. Thank you for liking my poem “Object!” Be Safe and Well. The Foureyed Poet.

2. Fascinating! Following your link above helped me to understand what the final results will look like. I haven’t come across an equivalent in UK. I need to start looking…

3. pommepal says:

They look like miniature beach huts, especially being painted in lovely bright colours

4. ljlhannah says:

This is a cool project. I wish they did that sort of thing where I live. Good job Andrew!

5. Annika Perry says:

A great project – anything to encourage literacy is a great plus! Well done and hope to see the finished boxes later. Lovely sea-side colours.

6. What a labor. Congrats, Andrew, on doing this. Many children will appreciate it (even if they don’t tell you).

7. Congratulations on making it this far. The colors are quite nice and I look forward to seeing the fronts when all is in place.

• It will be a couple of months before that happens. I’ll be taking a break from this project for a little while then at the end of July, we’ll finish these and hope to place these in their new homes sometime in the fall.

Take it easy. Arguably, you are doing God’s work, so whatever speed you work at will be the right one.

• I’ll be slowing down on the project now. The only reason for the rush was the event. We have these 5th Sunday events our pastor calls “work at worship,” where we have a short service and then turn our hands to a project. This time I was one of the behind the scenes folks and needed to get everything ready.

9. YAPCaB says:

I’m confused. At the start of the post I inferred that the day had come and the deed was done. Further into the post it’s clear that’s not the case. Please help me understand what’s going on.

They do look cool btw

• Yeah, I didn’t make that very clear. Today was all about just assembling the main box. A big job in itself. The bits like doors and the roof shingles will be installed before they go to their final location. I think I’ll do a longer post later this week on the project.

10. How can I buy a little wooden library with little wooden books?

11. Susan says:

I have 2 granddaughters who are enchanted with our Little Libraries in Safety Harbor! They have been read to since born and love to go to our town library BUT whenever they spot one of the Little Libraries around town we have to stop and either get a book or donate some! It’s a very worthwhile
    project your Church is supporting.
    Best to you

12. PiedType says:

Such a worthwhile project! The community is lucky to have you.

13. artseafartsea says:

Looks like a lot of work but well worth the time and energy spent I think. Only you can answer that. Love the colors!

Comments are closed.