Wednesday Hiking – Henry Coe

Last weekend was a hiking weekend with Heather and I heading to Henry Coe State Park to see the spring wild flowers.  Well, me, Heather, a thousand bike riders, and every wild flower lover in the county.  The road into the park is a narrow winding road which isn’t the most fun to drive at the best of times.  However on Saturday there was a bike event so the drive was extra annoying with all the bikes and a few riders who didn’t grasp the concept of “share the road” or the fact that 4,000 pounds of car doesn’t stop that fast (even at 10 MPH).

When we arrived at the park entrance we were greeted by a nice ranger who informed us that the parking lots were full, but we could park outside the park and walk in (and avoid the day use fee).  He told us to park by the “cattle grate.”  The cattle grate is a quarter-mile from the entrance and the entrance is half a mile from the trail head, so our hike ended up being 1.5 miles longer than expected.

and yes, we did find a parking space after passing the grate – not sure that was only a quarter-mile away.  Once we got the trail and to the nature part of the day it turned into a wonderful day to be hiking.

View towards the west from the ridge.

The flowers were just starting to come out. We might have to come up here again.

This is “Forest Trail.” Seriously, that’s what it’s called on the map, “Forest Trail.”

We had a wonderfully long day.  By the map I figured we walked close to five miles, but my FitBit tracker registered 6.8 miles for the day.  I haven’t decided if I failed map reading or if the FitBit is wrong.

In either case, my doctor told me Monday morning that I’d aggravated my plantar fasciitis by a combination of overuse and not stretching properly before hiking.

If you need me – I’ll be limping around the shop,

This entry was posted in Hiking and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Wednesday Hiking – Henry Coe

1. Nina BW says:

Beautiful pictures! Looks like a nice hike of you ask me 😉 In Belgium we have the same ‘problem’ with cyclists. They seem very confused by seeing a car on the road 😂

2. slpsharon says:

I’d love to take that forest trail but would never make it. Love the photos.

3. GlacierLife says:

Glad to hear you fared well on the trek and were able to get parking! ALways the worst when people overpack great places like that… Looking at the photos and the story itself make it sound like a day VERY well spent. Thanks for sharing!

4. Glynis Jolly says:

There’s a state park and a county park near my home. Both have trails like the one you show in your picture. I figure it’ll be about 3 weeks before I’m walking any of those trails here in the mountains of Tennessee.

Beautiful photos and hope you’re feeling better by now!

6. What a beautiful hike – it’s too bad your lower extremities don’t agree. Hope you feel better soon…

7. kritsayvonne says:

Your walk looks fabulous. It is often better going with someone who knows what they are seeing, Shame the bikes spoilt your paradise. x

8. Such a beautiful hiking trail. I love your photos!

Sounds like it was a wonderful day and almost worth the plantar fasciitis!

10. Great photos. Sounds like you had a great time, perhaps, too good. Feel better.

That is such a beautiful place to walk around, and what lovely weather!

The trail looks worthy of a long hike, even after the extra walk. But hey, at least you saved a few bucks, right?

13. Pied Type says:

That forest trail is exactly the sort of thing that beckoned to me as a child and still does, although I couldn’t manage more than about 1/4 mile today. One never knows what might be just around the bend …

14. Relax... says:

Lovely photos — glad you got to take them!

15. Carrie Rubin says:

Looks like it was a beautiful day. Hopefully the plantar fasciitis will take it easy on you. That’s no fun at all.

16. From your photos, I’d say that the journey was worth the effort, Andrew. I hope that your fasciitis clears up soon.

17. I have the health monitor on my iPhone and it is often wrong. My FitBit (which I no longer use because I don’t like watches)–I think that was more accurate.

Not that I’m saying anything about your orienteering skills.

18. I, too, am fascinated by the forest trail. I just might be willing to hike 5 miles if it looked like that. Of course, at 80, I doubt I’d make it beyond the first quarter mile! I’ve got to start walking more! You’ve inspired me.

19. dfolstad58 says:

I like the forest trail photo. That’s a long long walk/hike!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w