We’ve got a major project with a tight timeline going here in the garden. We’ve decided to replace the garden shed with a new one. The shed is likely twenty years old and is starting to have serious problems – the roof is rotting at the edges, the siding has water damage and is pulling away from the frame, the concrete slab slopes wrong and water floods inside when it rains … The list goes on and on. I had thought about repairing it, but that would take a lot of time and money. The other option is to replace it. Turns out we can buy a prefabbed garden shed that is better and cheeper that one I could build myself.
So Heather and I did the on-line design thing for the shed company and after a lot of thought we came up with a configuration we liked. I was thinking it would take the company a few months to build and deliver it, but no – it arrives a week from Thursday. That’s part good and part bad. Good because it will give me all summer to add shelves, potting benches and cool stuff. Bad because I have to demolish the old shed and clear the site before it arrives. I’ve decided to take the old shed apart carefully so I can save and reuse as much of the wood and other materials as I can. That takes time – a lot of time.
In fact, so much time that I’ll be skipping writing my Sunday posts for a couple of weeks. I’ll post a few pictures of project progress starting with these:
Most of the stuff around the shed used to be in the shed – we had a lot of stuff in there.
I’ve focused on clearing out the inside and removing shelving, hooks, the bench and wiring for the lighting.
One of the drip irrigation controllers is in this shed so that had to be temporarily relocated. I took this picture to document how it was wired up – could be a bad day if I reconnect it wrong.
That’s it for this week and until I finish this fun project.
If you need me, I’ll be in the shed.