The weather here has motivated me to stay indoors all week so I’m continuing on writing projects and the piecing for my table runner. This week I’m being more systematic about how I’m doing this. This is a time consuming pattern and if I keep doing it one block at a time, it could summer before I finish. I’m working on eight blocks at a time. Now that I have a better idea of what I’m doing I can do more batching of processes. First I cut all the strips needed for each block and laid those out next to my sewing machine:
Each stack is all the strips for one block. Then I stitch one strip to the block in a long chain:
This really speeds up the sewing because I can get one strip on all eight blocks in five minutes. After this the seems are pressed open and stacked ready for a new strip:
After four strips are added, the blocks are trimmed to size using the curvy template and four more strips are added.
Doing it this way saves a lot of time by reducing the amount of moving between sewing machine and cutting table. The was I was doing it before was taking about an hour to do a block. This batch process reduces that to about four hours for eight blocks, or about a forth of the time.
I’m hoping to start assembling the blocks into the main runner section this week.
Well, it’s just about tea time here, so if you need me, I’ll be in the pantry looking for cookies.