Wednesday Woodworking – Desk Update and Next Project

Here’s Heather’s desk setup and in use:

Desk in the office.

and my next project is to clean this area up and cut down the size of this assembly table:

Too big for the space.

My shop is only about 160 square feet (as large as a big bedroom), so space is at a premium.  I built this assembly table/storage cart a few years ago.  It’s not working out as it’s just too big and tends to just be a flat surface that accumulates junk. The only useful thing it stores is my air compressor and air tools which only take up about half the space in the base.  So I’m going to cut it in half and make two carts.  I’ll use some of that junk wood on the right to make shelving inside the carts and what I don’t use is going to get hauled off to the scrap yard.

The second cart will get my jointer, sander, and maybe my small band saw.

If you need me, I’ll be using my table saw to cut a table in half.

This entry was posted in woodworking and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Wednesday Woodworking – Desk Update and Next Project

1. You were right, desk does look good right side up.

2. G. J. Jolly says:

Out of curiosity, why are you downsizing the assembly table? I can think of lots of uses for it the way it is.

Nice work, once again, Andrew! It looks like a really good size, too!

4. Well, at least you’re using the correct saw! Your two-cart idea sounds great – you can still push them together if you need a larger surface.

Heather’s desk looks great!

5. The desk looks great! And yeah – those flat surfaces are magnets for “stuff”. I know – my kitchen counters are flat!

Heather’s desk is a beauty!

7. Jeff Branch says:

Your desk turned out really well.

8. Pied Type says:

Every time I see all that wood in your shop, I start imaging how it smells … especially if you’ve been running a saw.

Lucky Heather. You’re a really handy guy to have around!

9. I love the desk but I have to ask: How does Heather open the drawers? Hmm???

I hope Heather realises that not every husband can make something as wonderful as that desk. Most of us are still stuck with the kids’ Lego.