Our backyard has a lot of roses. Something 15 or so. I’ve tried counting them but I keep losing track. We think most of these are 10 to 20 years old and in bad shape. They all needed to be fertilized and the ground worked over. There were a lot of roots, weeds and even lawn encroaching on them. It’s taken a couple of weeks to get them to this state:
Heather started working on them, but after a couple of mornings she asked me to help out. With the heat we’ve had here we’re only able to work an hour or two early each morning. We’ve had one blooming of roses this year and hope for a second. Sadly, we think a few of these will need to be replaced next year.
I got around to fixing the irrigation line, but it turned into a bigger issue than I wanted. A buried valve was leaking and I had to trench through mud to find it. Then I found that the main cutoff valve for the line won’t full turn off the water so I had to do the repair with a small trickle of water coming out so end up with this:
Normally I prefer to glue in buried pipes but because of the bad cutoff valve and the curve in the 1 inch line I opted for one glued fitting and using a compression splice. I worry that the compression splice might fail at some point. Fixing the cutoff valve isn’t a project I wanted to tackle right now as that valve is buried 4 feet down and would require digging a 4x3x6 foot hole to get to it. Not happening anytime soon.
The real problem with the cutoff valve is that in the winter I need to completely turn of the water and drain the line. It gets cold enough here in winter that irrigation lines can freeze and burst if there is water in them.
My solution for this year is to locate a new cutoff valve somewhere else on the line where I don’t have to dig as deep to do the work. We also need a couple of new irrigation watering zones so the next project is to cut into the line, install a cutoff and new irrigation valves. This looked like the right place:
It will be a few more weeks before I get to that project as I’m still doing drywall in the shed. I’ll have pictures of that next week.
If you need me, I’ll be digging a trench.