Just pictures of a scroll saw project I am working on. Lately I’ve been focusing more of my energy in the shop than on the keyboard so I am not writing an essay this week.
Here is a project that’s been on my bench for a long time. It’s a fretwork box and I’ve finally finished cutting the top piece.
This the lid with the pattern still attached. It’s a 7.5 inch square. Yes, it is very detailed work and time-consuming. I’d say that cutting the lid took at least six hours and my old eyes needed a big magnifier to see the lines.
Here are all the pieces that I’ve completed.
The box is made from 1/4 inch think mahogany. I was going to have a solid mahogany bottom but the piece I cut for it warped very badly. That’s one of the problems with thin solid stock – it wraps easily. The backup plan is to make the bottom from 1/4 MDF and veneer it. It’s dimensionally stable and will look just as nice. Plus no one but me and the 100 people who read this blog will know. Well, I couldn’t just do a simple veneer job so I am going to add some marquetry to the piece. Here is the veneer and the pattern I am going to use:
The marquetry will go on the inside bottom and as a backer to the lid. For those that care, I’ll be using the pad method to cut the marquetry and the bottom piece will be the negative of the top backer. It will make more sense when I finish.
Also on the work bench is the entertainment center I am building. The main carcase is complete. I tried to take a picture of it but the sunlight was casting funny shadows on it so I’ll have to wait for another time when the sun isn’t blasting through the window to get a picture for you.
Don’t know what I’ll get done this week but I hope to get the marquetry cut and the face frame for the entertainment center finished.
Till next week,