Wednesday Gardening – Raised Beds

The weather here is starting to warm up and we’ve been getting a few days outside to get started on this year’s garden.  Since this will be our first year here, lots of what we’ll be doing is infrastructure.  We’ll get some veggies planted and put in some of the bigger plants, but not much more.  First project is the herb garden:

This will be the herb garden. The ramp is temporary.

This is the lowest level on our newly redone hill.  There will be more beds when we’re done and this will mostly be for herbs.

First set of raised beds.

We have another area where we’ll be doing a veggie area so we’ll need lots more planter boxes and beds so here I’m cutting old fence boards to make these boxes:

That’s me making sawdust.

The fence boards came from a fence we took down to make room for my shed and from my daughter’s home where some fence had been partly burned last summer’s wild fires.  She’s replaced her wood fence with a metal fence.

The stacks on the right are what I’ve salvaged so far and will make six more planter boxes.

If you need me, I’ll be out back cutting fence boards.

Born in California Did the school thing studying electronics, computers, release engineering and literary criticism. I worked in the high tech world doing software release engineering and am now retired. Then I got prostate cancer. Now I am a blogger and work in my wood shop doing scroll saw work and marquetry.
This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Wednesday Gardening – Raised Beds

1. The Resourceful Gardener says:

Incredible space, and looks like you will make it beautiful.

2. How exciting to see it taking shape! It will be lovely when it’s done (and you’re enjoying your fresh herbs). 🙂

3. Christi says:

What a perfect use of salvaged wood! The planters look great. We plan on getting one of our own, but will purchase one from friend of ours who is starting a business.
    It’s the next best thing to using salvaged wood. 😉

• We’ve torn down a few things here: Play structure, dog run, fencing, and a small deck. I didn’t want to haul it all to the dump. So far it looks like about half of what I demolished is reusable.

Lots of hard work, but keeps you busy and look beautiful!

5. Bob says:

Beautiful and inspiring.

You’re off to a very nice start! I l really like the look of a terraced garden, too. This will be a lot of work, but so rewarding, I’m sure. I hope you’ll add photos as the project develops.

7. So much work ahead…so worth it 🙂

8. That looks like it will be wonderful! I like your attitude of doing infrastructure the first year. It gives you time to settle in and see what you need or will like best. Looking forward to updates.

9. You are amazingly productive and industrious, Andrew. I admire you very much.

10. Nice planter wall block! I sell those for Oldcastle.

It’s a bit drier than England!!!

12. K.L. Hale says:

What a beautiful place!! Keep up the great work!

13. Dave Foyle says:

The backyard “Mt. Reynolds” is really looking good!