My Excuse

Turns out that I lied last week.  I told you that I’d be posting about our last hike on Wednesday.  I didn’t do that.  I meant to, had every intention to, even starting writing it up – got google maps, downloaded pictures, video clips, looked up references – the works.

And then didn’t finish my job.

However, I would never admit to this if I didn’t have a good excuse.

I was sick.  No, I mean I had a cold, almost a flu-like thing.  And I had to take my brother to the doctor’s office.  And my wife’s computer broke.  And I had to work yesterday – it’s been cold, my hair needs cutting, got a new wood working catalog…

This week just sucked and I accomplished none of what I set out to do except getting my brother to the doctor, the after-hours work yesterday and going to seeing the play I’ve been looking forward to.  Well, guess that’s not too bad for a sick guy.

Don’t know where I got it but on Tuesday I started to feel a bit ill – sinus congestion, feeling weak, and a scratchy throat. It’s been down hill since then.  Didn’t go to work Wednesday – hoping that taking a day off would revive me.  Fail.  Felt worse on Thursday, but had to drive my brother up to the clinic for a procedure that’s been scheduled for weeks and couldn’t easily be rescheduled.

I am not going go into details other than say, yes, I was the only person on the planet that could do this.  Yes, it was more important than me being sick.  He has far more physical problems than me.  No, I shouldn’t have been driving. No, I shouldn’t have been exposing a surgery center full of patients to my germs. Yes, I’ve nominated myself for a martyrdom medal.

So I rise from my sick-bed on Thursday, summon my remaining strength and spent four hours driving and waiting around on uncomfortable chairs.  Then I got the good news that there was something wrong and could I bring my brother back at 8:30 tomorrow morning so they could do a few more things.  Wouldn’t have minded so much if it wasn’t 4:00 pm and I was SICK.

My medal will have a purple ribbon and an oak leaf cluster.

So 6:00 am Friday morning the alarm goes off and I consider calling 911 but a shower and a cup of tea give me the mental strength to think I might be able to manage it.  I thought of stopping for a Starbucks but the thought of walking into the store and waiting for them to make it a latte was just overwhelming.

Got to the clinic and everything was just fine.  Peachy.  Perfect.  My brother was the perfect patient, the procedure went flawlessly.  He was all smiles and happy.  The nurse was happy.  When I got him back to his apartment even his health aid was happy.

I drove home and collapsed.  I think I was on the couch, but couldn’t swear to it.  I recall Heather being there for a while and her bringing me food.  There was water and at one point, tea.  Heather went out somewhere and came back.  Somewhere I found the remote control for my fancy new TV and spent the time between my sandwich and tea watching “Adam-12” and “Emergency!” reruns on Netflix.

There is a restorative power in reruns of 1970’s TV shows that I just can’t explain.  It has something to do with connecting with my childhood memories and visiting nostalgia lane.  My goodness, did we really dress like that?  And talk like that?  I mean man, can you dig? Like bummer.

By Saturday I was feeling well enough to engage in a little after-hours maintenance work on one of my servers at the office (good thing it was a software thing and I could do it remotely).

Someplace in the mist of all my problems, Heather had her own crisis – her computer developed a problem and on my advice took it down the genius bar where they promptly declared, “No idea, we’ll send it to the repair lab and charge you a lot of money.  Okay?”

At one point during the week that seemed like a good idea to me.  Now I am wondering how sick I’ve been. oops, shouldn’t have said that.  Heather will read that before you do.

Today has finally been a good day.  Managed to get to church and then over to see our friend, James Creer, perform in his one-man show, “Looking Over the President’s Shoulders.” It is first person account of Alonzo Fields, who was chief butler in the White House for 21 years and served four presidents.  It was a great show and I was very happy that I got over my cold and was able to see it.

There is my excuse for lying to you about the hiking post I promised last week.  For next week I promise a hiking post or a much better excuse.

Till next week,

About Andrew Reynolds

Born in California Did the school thing studying electronics, computers, release engineering and literary criticism. I worked in the high tech world doing software release engineering and am now retired. Then I got prostate cancer. Now I am a blogger and work in my wood shop doing scroll saw work and marquetry.
This entry was posted in General, Health, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.