Friday Wisdom – Getting Older

Happens to us all. Here’s what I know:

Aging gracefully is the polite way to say, “You’re slowly looking worse.”

As I get older, the earlier it gets late.

I believe in the here after. Every time I walk into a room I ask, “What am I here after?”

Being mature means walking around trying to remember what you’ve forgotten.

You know you’re getting old when your kids are reading history about things that you remember as current events.

You’re old when friends call at 8:00 pm and ask, “Did I wake you?”

Why does everyone my age seem older than me?

At my age, when I’m faced with two temptations, I choose the one that will have me home by 9.

Some Quotes:

When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of algebra. Will Rogers

I’m at an age when my back goes out more than I do. Phyllis Diller

At my age, flowers scare me. George Burns

You know you’re getting old when the candles cost more than the cake. Bob Hope

So far, this is the oldest I’ve been. George Carlin

By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he’s too old to go anywhere. Billy Crystal

Born in California Did the school thing studying electronics, computers, release engineering and literary criticism. I worked in the high tech world doing software release engineering and am now retired. Then I got prostate cancer. Now I am a blogger and work in my wood shop doing scroll saw work and marquetry.
This entry was posted in wisdom and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Friday Wisdom – Getting Older

1. You know you’re old when you bend down to tie your shoelace, and have to ask yourself if there’s anything else you can do while you’re down there. Oh, and don’t believe them; old age is hell! (Fred, aged 75).

2. Trust George Carlin to hit the nail on the head. “So far, so good,” said the optimist as he fell past the second floor…

3. All the quotes are terrific. This one is my favorite joke: Now that I’m getting older, I think about all the people I’ve lost along the way and think that I shouldn’t have taken a job as a tour guide.

Haha!!!

4. I loved the “aging gracefully” quote. What are we to do? The wrinkles, grey hair… for women can we go sleeveless or does that look too awful. I like the older European women who are on the beach in bikinis, owning their older selves, but maybe that’s because they can get dark tans that hide the… not so good looking parts of our bodies. I think that’s why SOME people are in tanning salons all year round, right! Thanks for the chuckle – I’m this age TOO!

I used to love Bob Hope.What a trooper!

These are all great, but Bob Hope’s quote cracked me up. 🙂

7. Dave says:

Love the tour guide predicament. And “as long as everyone my age seems older than me”, I guess I’m doing okay.

8. Getting older isn’t so bad. Besides – “What’s the alternative?” I enjoyed your post as always.I think embracing every day is important. I never did enjoy numbers. I will be one of those old hippies, I think. Life is as fun as we make it. 🙂 Have a great week!

9. Wonderful post and quotes, Andrew! I fit right in…

10. Flojo says:

As I get older, I notice how many more women are driving men, rather than the reverse. That’s gotta make a man feel old.

11. GP says:

I was taught to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder to find any!!

12. I am happy we all have that same experience–“why am I here?”

13. Those of us of ….ahem….a certain age appreciate these! 😉

14. Karen Kaufman says:

Before retirement you go to birthday parties -after retirement seems like all you do is go to celebrations of life and funerals. 😦

15. Cherryl says:

So true, love this 🤗

16. SusanR says:

These are especially great, coming as they do on my 79th birthday. I’m in tune with George Carlin, often wondering if this is how I’m supposed to be, having never been this age before.

17. Love these! Aging gratefully!